1. What is Upgrading and why do it?
Upgrading your membership enables you to use a CIPD designation that properly reflects your knowledge and experience. This immediately establishes your professional credentials and ensures that your skills and expertise are fully recognised.
An upgrade also dramatically enhances your marketability, both within your current organisation and when seeking a new position elsewhere. Your profession will benefit too. As your personal professionalism and capabilities become more widely recognised, this will reflect favourably on the profession as a whole.
2. What are the CIPD’s professional levels of membership?
There are three professional levels of membership; Associate member (Assoc CIPD), Chartered Member (Chartered MCIPD) and Chartered Fellow (Chartered Fellow). These three levels of membership recognise professional competence and the impact that HR professionals are making in the workplace based on what they know (knowledge), do (activities) and how they do it (behaviours).
More about membership levels
3. How do I know if I am eligible to upgrade to Chartered membership?
- If you currently hold Graduate membership of CIPD you can upgrade to Chartered Member or Chartered Fellow subject to being in active membership.
- If you recently regraded your membership to Associate having previously held Graduate membership of CIPD you can upgrade to Chartered Member or Chartered Fellow subject to being in active membership.
- If you are a Chartered Member of the CIPD you can apply for Chartered Fellow subject to being in active membership
Find out more about checking your eligibility
4. What is included in my application?
The application gives you the opportunity to demonstrate the impact of your experience in the work place against the membership criteria. You need to submit the following:
- Upgrade application form.
- Current CV
- 2 x Colleague feedback forms (Support 3a to be completed by your line manager or a recent client. Support 3b to be completed by your colleague).
- Upgrade fee if relevant.
5. How much do I need to pay to upgrade my membership?
The amount you pay depends on the level of professional membership that you are applying for. The costs for each level are shown below; this is a non-refundable fee irrespective of the outcome of your application to upgrade your membership.
- Associate £40
- Chartered Member £60
- Chartered Fellow £95
If you have successfully completed your foundation or intermediate CIPD qualification within the last year (and have been informed by us) you can apply for one upgrade assessment free of charge to Associate member. If you have completed your Advanced level CIPD qualification within the last year (and have been informed) you may apply for one free upgrade assessment to Chartered Member. There is no free upgrade assessment to Chartered Fellow.
If you are unsure of the date your results were received by CIPD or the date on which you were awarded Graduate status of the CIPD, please contact us on +44 (0)208 612 6208 to check.
6. What if I still have further questions about upgrading?
If you have any questions about upgrading, please feel free to contact us on +44 (0)20 8612 6208 or email firstname.lastname@example.org