The HR Profession Map knowledge and activities in the ten professional areas, as well as the statements in the behaviours, are displayed in four bands. The four bands of professional competence define the contribution that professionals make at every stage of the HR career in the following key areas:
1. The relationship that the HR professional has with clients
2. The focus of the activities performed by the HR professional
3. Where HR professionals spend their time
4. What services they provide to clients
5. How their contribution and success is measured.
Whether you are using the HR Profession Map for your own development or for your HR team’s / organisation, the bands help to give a clear pathway and focus to your developmental planning and activities. All professional areas and behaviours set out the standards in these four bands or levels.
Transitions: moving through the bands
There are transitional challenges relating to moving from one band to the next in any career. Our guidelines in the HR Profession Map download set out advice for moving through the first, second and third transitions:
- Where time is spent and the perspective on what is important
- The new skills focus
- What is let go or relinquished?
For more detail on the Bands and Transitions download the full HR Profession Map.
My HR Map - online self-assessment tool for CIPD members
HR Profession Map overview