Be part of something big!
When you're a member of the CIPD, you're part of a community of more than 140,000 members working in HR, learning and development, people management and consulting across all sectors.
As an independent and not for profit organisation, we're committed to working with you to champion better work and working lives, for the benefit of individuals, businesses, economies and society.
Wherever you are in your career, the CIPD and its members will support and inspire you to achieve your full potential. Some of our qualifications cover the knowledge required to work towards CIPD professional membership - Associate member, Chartered Member or Chartered Fellow.
Grades of membership
Professional membership of the CIPD demonstrates that you meet the CIPD's rigorous criteria for best practice in HR and L&D. It showcases you ability to create a real impact in the workplace, and to make a difference to an organisation's strategy and its people. Above all, it emphasises your commitment to continuing professional development that makes you one of the best.
Professional membership is an achievement that ensures you stand out in your career. It is respected by employers and the industry alike, and may also help increase your earning potential. There are three levels of professional membership:
- Associate member (Assoc CIPD)
- Chartered Member (Chartered MCIPD)
- Chartered Fellow (Chartered FCIPD)
And, two routes to take you there:
- CIPD qualifications - some CIPD qualifications provide the underpinning knowledge you need in order to upgrade to professional membership.
- Experience Assessment - a direct route into professional membership for those who do not hold the required CIPD qualification, but are able to demonstrate through experience and knowledge, that they meet the requirements. (Find out how Ann Halloran became the first person in Ireland to achieve Chartered Membership through this route.)
When studying a CIPD qualification, you'll need to join as a student member. This gives you exclusive access to a wealth of essential resources, development tools and connections, ensuring you get off to the best possible start.
If you’re eligible to upgrade to Chartered Member or Chartered Fellow, you can apply by a straightforward 45-minute conversation by phone assessment, face-to-face assessment or application form. To book your place to upgrade by face to face assessment or by phone assessment please call CIPD on +44 20 8612 6208.
Click on the link below for more information on how you can become chartered and why you should.
Benefits of membership
Get the most out of your membership with our member benefits and exclusive discounts.
How to join
Find out how you can become a member of the CIPD.