Age and employment
This factsheet was last updated in June 2013.
What is age discrimination?
Age discrimination happens when someone is unfairly disadvantaged for reasons, which cannot be objectively justified, relating to their age.
- affect anybody regardless of how old they are
- adversely affect employment opportunities, especially those of older people and younger people
- result in failure to consider skills-based abilities, potential and experience in the workplace
- result in significant legal costs, compensation, and settlements paid to avoid defending expensive discrimination claims.
Login or register for a free account to continue reading this factsheet and to learn about:
- What is age discrimination?
- The legal position
- Recommendations for employers
- CIPD viewpoint
- Useful contacts
- Further reading