Coaching and mentoring
This factsheet was last updated in August 2012.
What are coaching and mentoring?
Coaching and mentoring are development techniques based on the use of one-to-one discussions to enhance an individual’s skills, knowledge or work performance.
It is possible to draw distinctions between coaching and mentoring (as discussed below) although in practice the two terms are often used interchangeably. While the focus of this factsheet is on coaching, much of the analysis presented here is also applicable to mentoring.
Login or register for a free account to continue reading this factsheet and to learn about:
- the differences between coaching, mentoring and counselling
- developing a coaching culture
- who delivers coaching in UK organisations
- when is coaching the best development intervention
- the role of HR in managing coaching activities
- the CIPD viewpoint
- useful contacts and further reading.