Welcome from the Chair
Welcome to the Cumbria branch website - one of the smallest branches in the country.
With just over 530 members we cover all of Cumbria, from Barrow in the South to the Scottish border in the North and from Maryport in the West to Appleby in the East (plus all points in between!) although members from out of county are always welcome to attend our events and meetings.
If you have any ideas for improving what we have to offer or if you think we can help you with any aspect of your career or your continuing development, please contact us.
We also welcome your comments on what you think of the site and how we are doing in general. We need your feedback in order to learn and improve.
Our vision is to be a model CIPD local resource, supporting branch members' professional needs by sharing knowledge, by encouraging continuing learning and development and by facilitating networking.
Finally, skills shortages in Cumbria is a subject high on our agenda.
- View a presentation (PPT 1.2 MB) ‘To introduce our CIPD Cumbrian Members to some key labour market information messages for the County of Cumbria and the opportunities they present for the current and future local workforce’.
- Complete a short survey on skills shortages which will help us to help you. Go on - take a few minutes to help make a difference in Cumbria too.
Chair, CIPD Cumbria Branch
Although we are the smallest of the 50 UK Branches with just over 500 members we have big hopes and aspirations for our branch.
We welcome all members - practitioners and consultants - covering all levels of the management and development of people, from HR Directors to students just starting their careers in people management.
Branch activities are designed to enhance members' credibility and strengthen the link between HR and the business. As well as the events there is a regular newsletter and this website to keep members up to date with what's going on in Cumbria Branch.
The Cumbria branch of CIPD is your:
- to provide local opportunities for professional networking through events throughout the year
- o provide the focus for two-way exchange of information between CIPD HQ and local members on policies and governance of the Institute through the branch committee and newsletter, website and events throughout the year.
Development support centre
- for students, through their CIPD programmes
- for applicants to membership
- for upgrading to higher levels of membership
- for Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
- providing learning and development opportunities through events and discussion groups, at introductory level, on new issues, for updates and advance debate
- facilitating the development of special interest groups by business sector or subject
- raising the profile of CIPD locally as a valued source of information for HRD professionals and organisations.
We aim to be a best practice resource supporting the professional needs of branch members and promoting understanding of CIPD through sharing knowledge, encouraging continuous development and facilitating networking.
Our Principles for Operating
- We share good practice information openly and when it is needed, having consideration for confidentiality
- We align our activities with the national mission and standards
- We act in the best interests of our members in accordance with the Code of Professional Conduct
- To deliver quality events linked to the HR Profession Map
- To maintain effective communication
- To raise the profile of CIPD and the HR profession in Cumbria
- To manage the branch to ensure it long term effectiveness
If you would like to attend one of our Volunteer Committee meetings it would be great to see you. They normally start at 18:00 with refreshments and the committee meeting starts at 18:15.
If you're interested in coming along, please email Gary Hewins, NW Regional Branch Coordinator.