We're working with the business managers to identify roles that are critical to the business, mainly to identify succession/business continuity/retention plans for these roles. Whilst in theory, this is required for all roles, with over 100,000 employees globally we're planning to start with a handful of positions/roles first.
Whilst I can agree that Critical roles' are identified as roles that are crucial to the achievement of organisational outcomes. These roles would be identified as having a combination of the below:
- Roles that have an impact on the designing of business strategy
- Roles that have an impact on stakeholders and customers
- Roles that have an impact on revenue
- Roles that are required due to licensing requirements (many in operational areas)
- Role that are difficult to replace due to skills or availability (externally or internally)
A vacancy in a critical role will have a significant tangible impact on the ability of the organisation to deliver outputs, achieve milestones, or meet budget requirements.
My challenge is trying to make this assessment objective if possible through a criteria/matrix/tool thats easy enough to use.
Has anyone put something together previously that can help as a starting point?