Welcome to our branch area
Thank you for visiting our branch page and for your interest in being part of the vibrant community of people professionals we are creating locally.
Since becoming the Branch Chair in 2017, I have worked to ensure that the committee of volunteers are supported and have the resources to organise great events for our community in Cumbria. I am proud to say that in the past few years we have achieved an increase in engagement from both our members and business leaders across Cumbria. We're the smallest branch in the UK but we are mighty in our ambition to achieve the very highest standard of networking opportunities, sharing of good practice and events across the county.
You can also be a part of this community and I would encourage you to get involved with what is happening in your local branch, explore our webpage further and I hope to welcome you at an event or networking meeting soon.
Melanie Kinsella Chartered FCIPD
Learn about our branch
Although we're the smallest of the 50+ UK branches with just over 500 members, we have big hopes and aspirations for our branch. We welcome all members - practitioners and consultants - covering all levels of experience in the profession of people management, learning and people development; from students just starting their careers right through to senior directors.
Branch activities are designed to provide continued professional development and networking opportunities to enhance members' credibility and visibility. This helps to strengthen the link between people professionals and the businesses within Cumbria.
We organise fantastic events (open to non-members as well) and provide a regular newsletter to keep everyone up to date. The Cumbria branch of the CIPD is your:
- To provide local opportunities for professional networking through events throughout the year.
- To provide the focus for two-way exchange of information between CIPD HQ and local members on policies and governance of the Institute through the branch committee, newsletter, website and events throughout the year.
Development support centre
- for students, through their CIPD programmes
- for applicants to membership information
- for guidance on membership issues, benefits or progression
- for continuing professional development (CPD)
Continuing professional development (CPD) provider
- Providing learning and development opportunities through events and discussion groups, at introductory level, on new issues, for updates and advance debate.
- Raising the profile of the CIPD locally as a valued source of information for people professionals and organisations.
Our mission is to engage fully with CIPD members and local businesses in Cumbria, supporting your professional development needs, sharing knowledge and good practice, encouraging continuous learning and development and facilitating networking opportunities across the county, and having some fun along the way!
We welcome applications from members keen to join the branch committee to continue to take the branch forward, to raise our profile locally and help deliver a diverse range of events for our members.
If you are interested in finding out more about a voluntary role on our committee or have ideas to contribute, please come along to one of our events and speak with one of our committee members. We may have opportunities to join immediately, or we may ask you to join our waiting list so that we can contact you when a role becomes available that matches your skills. Either way, we will ask you to complete a short application form so that we can find out more about you and the skills you have to offer our branch committee.
Our principles for operating
- We share good practice information openly and when it is needed, having consideration for confidentiality.
- We align our activities with the national campaigns and standards.
- We act in the best interests of our members in accordance with the Code of Professional Conduct.
- To deliver quality events linked to the CIPD Profession Map.
- To maintain effective communication.
- To raise the profile of CIPD and the people professions in Cumbria.
- To manage the branch to ensure its long-term effectiveness.
Sat, 19 June 2021 09:30 - 11:00
Annual General Meeting for CIPD Cumbria Branch all members welcome to join via Zoom
Thu, 24 June 2021 12:00 - 13:00
Virtual HR forums – using the ZOOM Platform.
Thu, 01 July 2021 13:00 - 15:30
Back by popular demand Burnetts Solicitors will be taking us on a journey of back to the future in the world of Employment Law .
CIPD North are building a network of members, volunteers and stakeholders to develop the profession, build our policy relevance and reach, and establish the voice of CIPD North. We are also a part of a longstanding voluntary partnership of the ten northern England branches covering between them an area from the Scottish border down to Cheshire in the West and South Yorkshire in the East and providing services to around 24,000 members.