The CIPD volunteer network in London caters for over 22,000 CIPD members, which represents one fifth of the CIPD’s overall membership. This makes CIPD London a truly significant geographical area, in terms both of membership density and the wider social and political responsibility we have to help support the CIPD’s strategy to champion better work and working lives.
Over the coming months we have a vibrant schedule of activity on offer, so, whether you are a CIPD student or a Chartered Fellow, there will be something of interest to you in your local area.
Officially launched at City Hall in September 2013, CIPD London has the specific aim of becoming the official voice for people management and development in the Capital. The region is made up of seven branches who have been working collaboratively to help develop a compelling and influential presence in London, whilst also delivering high quality support and networking opportunities at local level. Over the summer of 2014 the London chairs group have been busy planning and producing the very first CIPD London business plan which sets out the aspirations of our collaborative efforts and our commitment to:
- play our part in tackling the youth employment and skills agenda
- strengthen our focus on CIPD Centers and Students
- provide relevant and topical events across the region to meet the CPD needs of HR professionals.
Our location means that we are at the heart of a proud, growing community of practitioners, members, partners and thought leaders and through our combined and collaborative efforts we’ll take big steps towards championing better work and working lives.
In 2015, we have published our CIPD manifesto for London - an agenda that we hope will shape the future of work, our future workforce and our workplaces, for the benefit of our organisations, our people and our wider economy and society – because what’s good for business should be good for people, and vice versa.
What's happening in London
Sep 4 - Central London
Let's Delve into Diversity: Empowering Equality
Sep 5 - North London
Independent Consultants Group
Sep 17 - East London & Docklands
Business Restructuring & Redundancy
Sep 18 - South London
Sep 19 - South East London
Sep 19 - West London
Sep 24 - CIPD London
Designing & Implementing a D&I Strategy - live link to follow shortly
Sep 25 - North London
We're entitled to good learning!
Sep 26 - South West London
Bookings will be opening on 1 Sep 2019.
Oct 1 - Central London
Good Management leads to good mental health
Oct 3 - North London
Social Media at Work
Oct 7 - North London
Membership & Upgrading
Oct 8 - South West London
What is the future for Employment law in the UK?
Oct 9 - CIPD London
Meet-up-Wednesday networking evening
Oct 9 - North London
Employment Law Update
Oct 10 - West London
Employment Law Update
Oct 14 - CIPD London
The New Profession Map & Good Work Agenda - live link to follow soon
Oct 15 - East London & Docklands
Dealing with Mental Health in the Workplace
Oct 15 - North London
Oct 16 - South London
BAME progression / Ethnicity Pay Gap
Oct 17 - South East London
The Future of HR
Oct 26 - CIPD London
Student Induction - live link to follow soon
Oct 28 - South West London
The New Profession Map
Oct 29 - North London
The Future of HR; How AI will reinvent the future of interviewing
Oct 30 - East London & Docklands
Oct 30 - North London
Independent Consultants Group
Member to Member Mentoring scheme
Mentoring is an arrangement in which an experienced individual (mentor) offers ongoing support and guidance to a less experienced individual (mentee) to help the mentee manage his or her own learning and career development.
Gordon F Shea in his book Mentoring - A Guide to Basics defines mentoring as:
“…a process whereby mentor and mentoree work together to discover and develop the mentoree’s latent abilities, to provide the mentoree with knowledge and skills as opportunities and needs arise, and for the mentor to serve as an effective tutor, counsellor, friend and foil who enables the mentoree to sharpen skills and hone her or his thinking.”
Find out more about the scheme
This is a volunteer-led scheme. We aim to link like-minded HR & L&D professionals with the distinct purpose of enabling the mentee to:
- develop themselves
- better meet work challenges
- develop strengths and competencies
- learn from example and mistakes
- gain knowledge and more experience
The Mentor will also benefit from our scheme by:
- gaining satisfaction from nurturing and enabling an individual to develop
- helping to unleash untapped potential
- being instrumental in career transition and/or transformation
- developing own CPD
CIPD London Member to Member Mentoring scheme now operates on cohort-basis - there are 4 cohorts per academic year starting every 3 months and each lasting 6 months.
2018/2019 Academic Year cohorts:
- Jul 2018 - Dec 2018 = Jul 2018 cohort
- Oct 2018 - Mar 2019 = Oct 2018 cohort
- Jan 2019 - Jun 2019 = Jan 2019 cohort
- Apr 2019 - Sep 2019 = Apr 2019 cohort
2019/2020 Academic Year cohorts:
- Jul 2019 - Dec 2019 = Jul 2019 cohort (cancelled due to insufficient Mentor availability during Summer months)
- Oct 2019 - Mar 2020 = Oct 2019 cohort - FULL
- Jan 2020 - Jun 2020 = Jan 2020 cohort - recruitment is open
- Apr 2020 - Sep 2020 = Apr 2020 cohort (not yet open)
To join a cohort, please submit your Mentee or/and Mentor Profile form (Equal Opportunity Monitoring form is optional) at the earliest opportunity (but no later than 1 week prior to the cohort due to start) in order to be able to participate in introduction webinars (detailed below), which are dedicated to support new mentors and mentees joining the programme in order to help them deliver/achieve great results. While the first webinar is open to the wider audience, the following two webinars will be invite-only to people that have registered and have been approved for the programme.
Oct 2019 Cohort induction webinars
- CIPD Member-to-Member Mentoring Webinar - Intro to Mentoring at CIPD - end of Sep 2019 - date to be announced
- Being an Effective Mentor - CIPD Member-to-Member Mentoring Webinar - end of Sep 2019 - date to be announced
- Being an Effective Mentee - CIPD Member-to-Member Mentoring Webinar - end of Sep 2019 - date to be announced
To find out more about our CIPD London Mentoring Scheme, contact the Scheme Co-ordinator Monika Michalikova.