Still not sure what CPD means for you? Find out more about how CPD can benefit you and what you need to do to ensure maximum impact
Our Royal Charter and professional standing are dependent upon all members being able to demonstrate their commitment to CPD.
Membership of the CIPD is a recognised benchmark of professionalism. To support the HR profession in meeting global demands and pressures and to enable agility, the CIPD sets high standards of entry for professional members and requires a firm commitment to continuing professional development and lifelong learning. The Institute will audit CPD.
The essential principles are:
C - Continuing
- members demonstrate their commitment to developing their competence through the virtuous circle of CPD
- development is continuous in the sense that members actively seek to improve their knowledge, skills and performance
- regular investment of time and learning is seen as an essential part of professional life, not as an optional extra.
P - Professional
- members show an active interest in the internal and external environment and in the continuous development and improvement of self and others at both organisation and individual levels
- outcomes should reflect the HR Profession Map
- learning objectives should be clear and serve individual and ideally, client and organisational needs.
D - Development
- the starting point is a realistic assessment of what needs to be learnt in order to meet the demands of the ever-changing professional and business worlds
- development is owned and managed by the individual, learning from all experiences, combined with reflection as key activities
- working effectively and inclusively with colleagues, clients, stakeholders, customers, teams and individuals both within and outside of the organisation.
The CIPD policy is that members of the CIPD shall:
- maintain professional knowledge and competence
- seek appropriate support if business needs require involvement in new areas of activity
- ensure that they provide a professional, up to date and insightful service
- upon request will provide evidence of compliance with this CPD policy.
Visit the CPD cycle for a simple 7 step guide to your CPD, along with resources, tips and tools
Identify your strengths and areas for development using the self-assessment tool: My CPD Map. Access now and receive a personalised report with tailored development options
Complete a reflective questionnaire and showcase your great CPD