Recognising your contribution to HR and L&D through higher education and research
Academic membership is for individuals engaged in teaching, lecturing and research in the field of HR or L&D. It illustrates expertise in the development and progression of ‘thinking and knowledge’ of the HR and L&D profession and your ability to make an impact in the world of work.
I get a sense of belonging. To something that's big and globally respected… It's also driving the skills agenda through its policy work with Steps Ahead Mentoring and Inspiring the Future.
Kevin Haslam, Academic MCIPD
Programme Leader East Surrey College and Associate at Acacia Learning
Academic membership levels
There are three levels of Academic membership. Each carries a professional designation to recognise their significance.
Academic Associate (Academic Assoc CIPD)
You are typically an experienced lecturer, tutor or researcher in a HR subject area. Check yourself against the full Academic Associate criteria.
Academic Member (Academic MCIPD)
You are typically an experienced lecturer, senior researcher, recognised in UK or internationally as an expert in more than one relevant subject area. Check yourself against the full Academic Member criteria.
Academic Fellow (Academic FCIPD)
You are typically a senior academic or research leader, recognised in UK or internationally as an expert in at least two HR areas. Check yourself against the full Academic Fellow criteria.
Academic membership fees
Fees for up to 12 months membership
You will need to renew your membership on the 1 July 2018 and each year after that. Don’t worry, we’ll send you renewal information well before the due date to remind you how much is due. Annual payment will be collected until you advise us otherwise.
|Membership||Assessment fee||Joining fee||Up to 12 months||Total|
Interested in Academic membership?
To be awarded academic membership, you will be formally assessed against the CIPD academic criteria by providing relevant and current experience as evidence.
Send us an up-to-date copy of your CV to: firstname.lastname@example.org
We will review your CV and write to you within 10 working days to confirm your eligibility and to advise you on the most suitable level of professional membership to apply at, based on your experience. We will then provide you with details of the full assessment process. There is no charge for this stage of the process.
What's in it for you?
- Research, surveys and policy reports
- Employment law updates and helplines
- 100s of online business, HR and L&D journals supplied by EBSCO
- Time-saving email updates, including In a Nutshell
- Practical podcasts, topic summaries, factsheets and guides, and more.
Connect, learn and be inspired
- Online Community forum - Socialise, discuss and learn from an interested and supportive community of professionals.
- Take part in local CIPD branch activities.
- Find inspiration at CIPD conferences and events.
The award-winning People Management magazine, app and website
'I love my People Management magazine. It's my lunchtime read where I can read about the case studies and inspiring people who are doing great things. It makes me think "Yes, I am in the right career!"
Rebecca Watts Assoc CIPD
HR and L&D Project Manager for Health Education England
- CIPD Profession Map - assess your capability and access recommendations on what you need to know and do at every stage of your career.
- My CPD Map - an online assessment tool to identify your strengths and areas for development
- CIPD career hub - an online gateway to information, tools and advice to help build key employability skills and enable you to make the most of career opportunities
- Plus, enhanced career services including mentoring and workshops.
Save money through CIPD
- Free and exclusive access to over 200 perks and benefits with Perkbox, including discounts on shopping, entertainment, meals out and more
- Receive a 20% discount on all CIPD books and business titles from our Kogan Page bookshop
- Receive preferential rates on CIPD products and services, conferences, training and events
Easy access to support when you need it: online or face-to-face
- Guidance on standards of professional conduct
- Whistleblower advice line: Get confidential legal advice if you witness wrongdoing in the workplace
- Personal legal helpline