If you think you meet all of the above requirements, book your pre-assessment discussion today
Set yourself apart from the competition
Chartered Membership recognises HR and L&D professionals who deliver organisational performance by leading, driving and delivering people plans and solutions.
Chartered Membership will inspire confidence with employers and clients, and reduce risk for your organisation. It will help to further your career - opening doors to promotion, and increasing the range of job opportunities through:
- your exclusive access to senior networks
- a platform to have real influence and inspire the next generation
- the CIPD's thought leadership, leading-edge research and policy reports
- using the professional designation and letters Chartered MCIPD after your name.
Becoming a Chartered MCIPD in 2005 has really helped my career. Organisations out there really value the CIPD. It’s just sometimes nice to go 'yes-got-it'.
Alison J. Cowan, Chartered MCIPD
Multilingual Coach and HR Consultant
The CIPD has been central to my career development. It has brought me career success... It shows you've achieved something and in turn it means a lot to people.
Gareth Germain, Chartered MCIPD
EMEA HR Manager, AFEX
A lot of HR professionals are actually on their own... It can be quite lonely. You're there trying to communicate with senior leaders about how to do things the best way and the CIPD helps me to feel part of a wider community.
Nicola Barber, Chartered MCIPD
HR Leader UK and Ireland
What we’re looking for
To achieve Chartered Member status, you’ll need to demonstrate at least three years’ current experience working consistently at this level. Your role may include elements of developing people strategy, but you’ll also be operational, planning and managing HR activity.
- Strongly focusing on engaging and partnering with business managers.
- Taking a commercial approach to your work, using data and business insight to find people solutions to business issues.
- Demonstrating your authority to drive and deliver people change.
- Managing, developing and implementing complex HR or L&D programmes.
- Measuring the impact of your work using business metrics and feedback.
- Using your HR or L&D expertise to coach and influence business managers on people issues.
Timescales: You’ll be working and planning for the future, thinking 12-18 months ahead. For example, planning HR or L&D business activity over that time, or managing long-term projects.
- Deepening your knowledge of current and emerging good people practice and theory.
- Demonstrating excellent commercial understanding of your organisation, with evidence of developing or managing business cases for people change.
- Actively planning your CPD, keeping up to date with HR and L&D trends, challenges and thought leadership.
- Complying with our Code of Professional Conduct.
What sort of job roles are at Chartered Member level?
What sort of roles are at Chartered Member level?
Whether you’re employed or working on a consultancy basis, Chartered Members usually work at management or senior management level. In larger organisations you might be supporting business managers and functional heads. In small organisations you may manage the whole HR department.
Examples of roles may include:
Which qualifications can lead to Chartered Membership?
Study an Advanced Level Diploma and on successful completion of your studies you'll be awarded Associate membership status. You can then apply to upgrade your membership to Chartered Member or Chartered Fellow, provided you can demonstrate you have a minimum of three years’ experience working consistently at this level.
Advanced (Level 7) qualifications - equivalent to Master's-level
- Level 7 Diploma in Human Resource Management (HRM)
- Level 7 Diploma in Human Resource Development (HRD)
Chartered Membership fees
Membership fees for up to 6 months
You need to renew your membership on 1 July 2018 and each year after that. Don’t worry, we’ll send you renewal information well before the due date to remind you how much is due. Annual payment will be collected until you advise us otherwise.
|Route||Joining fee||Membership fee||Assessment fee||Total|
Membership fees for up to 18 months
You will need to renew your membership on the 1 July 2019 and each year after that. Don’t worry, we’ll send you renewal information well before the due date to remind you how much is due. Annual payment will be collected until you advise us otherwise.
|Route||Joining fee||Membership fee||Assessment fee||Total|
Members must hold current CIPD membership to be eligible for upgrading to Chartered Member. The fee to upgrade to Chartered Member by phone or face-to-face assessment is £120. The fee to upgrade to Chartered Member by written assessment is £60. If your application is successful, when you next renew your membership (annually on 1 July) you will be invoiced at the Chartered Member rate, current at the time the invoice is issued.
Choose your route into Chartered Membership
Be awarded Associate status at the end of your studies. If you have the right experience, you can upgrade to Chartered Membership
If you think you're eligible, upgrade your current membership to Chartered Member
What's in it for you?
Chartered Member status opens up a wealth of new connections, and gives you access to the latest insights, resources and tools you need to perform at your best.
Connect, learn and be inspired
- Online Community forum - Socialise, discuss and learn from an interested and supportive community of professionals.
- Take part in local CIPD branch activities.
- Find inspiration at CIPD conferences and events.
- Research, surveys and policy reports
- Employment law updates and helplines
- 100s of online business, HR and L&D journals supplied by EBSCO
- Time-saving email updates, including In a Nutshell
- Practical podcasts, topic summaries, factsheets and guides, and more.
- CIPD Profession Map - assess your capability and access recommendations on what you need to know and do at every stage of your career.
- My CPD Map - an online assessment tool to identify your strengths and areas for development
- CIPD career hub - an online gateway to information, tools and advice to help build key employability skills and enable you to make the most of career opportunities
- Plus, enhanced career services including mentoring and workshops.
The award-winning People Management magazine, app and website
'I love my People Management magazine. It's my lunchtime read where I can read about the case studies and inspiring people who are doing great things. It makes me think "Yes, I am in the right career!"
Rebecca Watts Assoc CIPD
HR and L&D Project Manager for Health Education England
Easy access to support when you need it: online or face-to-face
- Guidance on standards of professional conduct
- Whistleblower advice line: Get confidential legal advice if you witness wrongdoing in the workplace
- Personal legal helpline
Save money through CIPD
- Free and exclusive access to over 200 perks and benefits with Perkbox, including discounts on shopping, entertainment, meals out and more
- Receive a 20% discount on all CIPD books and business titles from our Kogan Page bookshop
- Receive preferential rates on CIPD products and services, conferences, training and events
If you hold a CIPD accredited Advanced Diploma in Human Resource Management (HRM) or Human Resource Development (HRD), you may apply to upgrade your current membership to Chartered Fellow if you can demonstrate at least three years’ current experience at this level.