Unlock your career potential
Just starting out, changing careers or wanting to learn more about HR and L&D? Combining CIPD membership with a CIPD qualification will speak volumes for your commitment towards good practice. It will enable you to really stand out while ensuring you remain relevant and more employable.
Student membership is for you if you:
- are currently studying or about to study a CIPD-accredited qualification in HR or L&D
- need immediate access to CIPD resources and support for your studies
- want to progress to professional membership at the end of your studies.
Essential resources for your study and career success
As a member, you have access to a wealth of knowledge, helping you learn and keep up-to-date on the latest thinking in HR and L&D. Join today to:
- gain access to the largest collection of online HR and L&D resources in the world - helping you study smarter
- access a range of powerful online tools, career management webinars and mentoring schemes to help you progress in your career
- get free subscription to People Management - an award-winning magazine bringing you the latest HR and L&D news and jobs
- receive the monthly CIPD Student member newsletter to update you on all relevant topics
- get discounts on CIPD textbooks, student conferences, gym membership, cinema tickets, holidays, and much more.
Join online today or find a qualification
Already enrolled on a CIPD accredited qualification? If yes:
Register using the same email address you used to enrol on your qualification. Then pay a one-off joining fee and your subscription (pay in one go or by monthly direct debit).
Alternatively, apply by post or email: Download our Student membership application form (763 KB). Please also use this form if you have completed a CIPD-approved qualification and wish to apply for student membership.
Student membership fees
Fees for up to 12 months membership (pre-qualification)
Enjoy our lowest membership rate and join the CIPD before you complete your qualification. You must enrol on your qualification within 9 months of becoming a student member. Join Student membership online today.
Joining fee: £40
Membership fee: £92 (until 30 June 2018)
Late registration fee (post-qualification)
If you decide to join us once you've completed your qualification you'll be asked to pay the late registration fee as well as the full admission fee and relevant subscription.
Foundation / Certificate: Additional £100 late registration fee
Intermediate / Undergraduates: Additional £100 late registration fee
Advanced / PDS candidates: Additional £200 late registration fee
You need to renew your membership on the 1 July each year. Don’t worry, we’ll send you renewal information well before the due date to remind you how much is due. Annual payment will be collected until you advise us otherwise.
Eurozone Direct Debit
Which CIPD qualifications lead to professional membership?
CIPD qualifications in HR and Learning and Development are available at three levels:
- Level 3 Foundation - equivalent to A-level standard
- Level 5 Intermediate - equivalent to Degree standard
- Level 7 Advanced - postgraduate level.
At each level you can follow an HR or L&D pathway or a combination of both.
When you successfully complete a Certificate or Diploma, at any level, you’ll become an Associate member, meaning you can use the designatory letters Assoc CIPD after your name. If you complete the Level 7 Advanced Diploma, you can apply to upgrade to Chartered Member or Fellow if you have the relevant experience.
Learn about CIPD-accredited professional qualifications.
How do I progress to professional membership at the end of my studies?
Your Student membership will automatically progress to Associate status upon successful completion of a CIPD Certificate or Diploma qualification.
If you hold a CIPD accredited Advanced Diploma in Human Resource Management (HRM) or Human Resource Development (HRD), you may apply to upgrade to Chartered Member or Chartered Fellow if you can demonstrate at least three years’ current experience at this level.
Already a member? See if you’re eligible to upgrade.
What's in it for you?
Access essential HR and L&D resources, development tools and networking opportunities to keep informed, supported and connected throughout your studies and career.
- Research, surveys and policy reports
- Employment law updates and helplines
- 100s of online business, HR and L&D journals supplied by EBSCO
- Time-saving email updates, including In a Nutshell
- Practical podcasts, topic summaries, factsheets and guides, and more.
The award-winning People Management magazine, app and website
'I love my People Management magazine. It's my lunchtime read where I can read about the case studies and inspiring people who are doing great things. It makes me think "Yes, I am in the right career!"
Rebecca Watts Assoc CIPD
HR and L&D Project Manager for Health Education England
Connect, learn and be inspired
- Online Community forum - Socialise, discuss and learn from an interested and supportive community of professionals.
- Take part in local CIPD branch activities.
- Find inspiration at CIPD conferences and events.
- CIPD Profession Map - assess your capability and access recommendations on what you need to know and do at every stage of your career.
- My CPD Map - an online assessment tool to identify your strengths and areas for development
- CIPD career hub - an online gateway to information, tools and advice to help build key employability skills and enable you to make the most of career opportunities
- Plus, enhanced career services including mentoring and workshops.
Easy access to support when you need it: online or face-to-face
- Guidance on standards of professional conduct
- Whistleblower advice line: Get confidential legal advice if you witness wrongdoing in the workplace
- Personal legal helpline
Save money through CIPD
- Free and exclusive access to over 200 perks and benefits with Perkbox, including discounts on shopping, entertainment, meals out and more
- Receive a 20% discount on all CIPD textbooks and business titles from our Kogan Page bookshop
- Receive preferential rates on CIPD products and services, conferences, training and events
It has been a big shift from not seeing a need for the CIPD, to thinking, how would I have got here without them?
CIPD Student Member
I feel supported by the CIPD. If I have any HR-related issues I know where to turn to... and it keeps me up to date.
Muhammad Abubakir Khan
It was totally worth the financial investment, the industry professionals have really added so much perspective to all of those subjects we have been studying.