Peter Cheese joins Mayor of London to launch London’s Good Work Standard
The CIPD is pleased to support the Mayor of London as he launches new framework for good employment practices in the city.
The Mayor of London, joined by Peter Cheese, has today launched London’s Good Work Standard, fulfilling Sadiq Khan’s manifesto commitment to make London the best place to live and work.
The Standard, developed in partnership with CIPD, brings together good employment practice with resources and guidance written by CIPD experts. Tested with CIPD members from the CIPD London branch, the framework aims to support employers of all sizes across the city improve their people management practices and create good work for all.
- Pay all workers and employees at least the London Living Wage.
- Provide the best possible leave entitlements for parents, sick leave and annual leave.
- Write clear employment contracts and written statements for workers and employees.
- Put in place channels for regular workforce dialogue, whether it’s team meetings or staff surveys.
- Foster a positive culture around work-life balance by offering flexible working for everyone and get senior management to model this behaviour.
- Develop clear progression pathways and systems for promotion and pay growth throughout the organisation.
- Implement training for managers and leaders on core people management skills including objective setting, coaching and providing feedback.
- Put in place a zero-tolerance approach to all forms of discrimination, harassment and bullying.
- Use a fair, open and transparent recruitment process, using multiple channels to advertise jobs and encourage applications from underrepresented groups.
- Recruiting and retaining the best skills and talent.
- Reduced absences and sick leave.
- Higher levels of employee engagement and motivation.
- Increased productivity.
- Better reputation.
- Achievement: the standard for good employment practice.
- Excellence: for employers that demonstrate how they embed excellent practices into their organisation.
Explore our related content
The CIPD Good Work Index provides an annual snapshot of job quality in the UK, giving insight to drive improvement to working lives
There are seven dedicated branch networks in London, each of which programmes a range of local CPD, networking and special interest group events throughout the year.