A day in the life of Adam Fox-Everitt, Reward Analyst specialising in people analytics
People analytics specialists gather and make use of data to create people insights to guide decision making, often at the most strategic level.
What does a people analytics specialist do?
With their structured, methodical approach, people analytics specialists use analytical consulting methods to address challenges and shape solutions, employing both qualitative and quantitative methods to address organisational issues. People analytics specialists are problem solvers, who use data with other forms of evidence to enable effective decision making. As leaders in people intelligence, they use data and evidence to improve organisational decision-making on people issues across the organisation, combining their data with wider organisational data sets to influence and contribute towards strategic decision making.
Your typical activities
Here are some of the activities you can expect to be involved in as a people analytics specialist:
- Selecting and advising on what databases to use
- Identifying data held and its potential use
- Taking an analytical consulting approach to people issues
- Interpreting and exploring business problems using people data
- Creating people data sets and aligning these to wider organisational data sets
- Using and applying quantitative and qualitative research design to solve problems
- Carrying out data analysis, from basic to multivariant analysis
- Making sure data is reported in a transparent, accessible and useable way
- Advising HR business partners on the best course of action.
Video: Using data to change things for the better
Access to better analytics doesn't just mean a more accurate reporting mechanism, says Andrea Owen of the Office for National Statistics – it can transform the way the entire organisation operates.
Types of roles in people analytics
Here is a shortlist of the types of job titles you might find in people analytics:
- People Analyst
- Senior People Data Analyst
- HRIS Manager
- People Analytics Manager
- People Analytics Consultant
- Head of People Analytics
Develop your knowledge in people analytics
Each standard progresses through four levels of impact. Which level do you most embody in your day-to-day work?
Understand what people analytics is, the different types of HR data, and the importance of people analytics strategy and processes.
Explore job opportunities
Explore other areas
Explore the twelve career areas within the people profession, and the typical activities you may find yourself doing
Information and guidance to help you excel in your role, transition into the profession, and manage a career break