Frequently asked questions with answers to guide you in your Brexit planning
The UK's participation in the EU's free movement of people and goods has come to a close. Employers and people professionals will need to stay abreast of developments and prioritise their workforce plans. Resources and guidance to help you do this can be found on this dedicated Brexit hub.
Highlights on this page
Practical guidance on navigating the UK’s new points-based system for HR and employers
Watch our webinar and download slides to discover how the new immigration regime will impact people practice
A summary of people scenarios to help HR and employers understand the actions they should take in light of Brexit
Resources and guidance to help you
Click on the icons below to see a list of relevant resources.
Summary of the UK’s post-Brexit immigration policy
CIPD members can call our Employment Law Helpline on 03330 431 217 to get advice on all aspects of UK employment law. Members are entitled to 20 calls per year (25 if you’re a Chartered member). The helpline is available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
CIPD impact on the policy debate
The CIPD has been and will continue to work with Government to ensure any Brexit-related policy decisions meet employer needs. During the Brexit process to date:
- We've been involved in meetings with key politicians and government officials, including the Rt Hon Caroline Nokes MP, Rt Hon Yvette Cooper MP and Rt Hon Hilary Benn MP.
- We're a member of the Home Office employers’ advisory group on the post-Brexit immigration policy.
- The CIPD and some of the UK’s largest business organisations signed an open letter to the Home Secretary offering help on designing the post-Brexit immigration system.
- We were the most quoted organisation (out of 450+ organisations) in the Migration Advisory Committee’s report on a new EU immigration system. The Government largely adopted the report’s recommendations in its immigration White Paper.
- We published our report, A practical immigration system for post-Brexit Britain, outlining our key policy recommendations for government ahead of new migration restrictions.
Read the CIPD’s viewpoint on Brexit and future immigration policy for our list of recommended actions for employers and Government.